I’m really excited to announce the new project that Stephen Waddington and I started. Comms School — a community created to learn how to build communities, create content and get ahead in your career. We hope you’ll join us.
Stephen and I currently work together at Metia, where he’s MD of our London office. But we first connected in the summer of 2016. We grabbed lunch in London’s Bankside and I asked what should I be doing in order to have a successful career. There was no hesitation in his answer — he told me I should start blogging.
A few months later I launched my blog MK and within a year I was named one of top 10 PR bloggers in the UK. Stephen and I kept in touch, met for a few breakfasts, exchanged a few messages. He also helped me explore personal branding for the purpose of my undergraduate dissertation.
A year after we first met, we found ourselves at a glitzy event. Blog awards — the industry’s Oscars. We were both nominated for the top award for a PR blog. And yes, I might’ve won that one. It was an early highlight of my still short career.
Because of Stephen’s mentorship, I managed to meet a lot of exceptional people in the industry, I landed my first job after graduating and I got much further than I would have if I hadn’t eaten that chicken salad with him in summer 2016.
Practical skills are not always taught at university. Hence Comms School. Stephen and I will be running a series of webinars on our Facebook group and exploring blogging and building networks for students, and anyone else who might find it useful.
🔴 List of webinars
- Blogging 101: How to start a blog, how to find your niche, what platform to use;
- Blogging 102: Finding inspiration, how to make writing a habit, distribution and finding your community;
- Social presence and personal branding online: Tips on how to make a standout social profiles that will help landing a top role;
- Finding your community: Tapping into your niche, creating lists, joining conversations, and exploring the benefits of community;
- Content creation: Finding your “thing”, why creating content and getting “out there” matters, where to begin and how to keep getting inspired;
- Finding job and getting ahead: Summary of top lessons from the series, how to find the right role and how to succeed in it.
Please join our Facebook community here: facebook.com/groups/CommsSchool
If you have any suggestions, would like to guest post or give me a feedback, feel free to email me at kl.marcel [at] gmail.com, tweet me @marcelkl or connect with me on LinkedIn. Thanks for stopping by, have a splendid day!